El Salvador Grace Community Church is currently involved in working with Pastor Amilcar Guzman, pastor of Iglesia Bautista La Libertad, the only Baptist Church in La Libertad. We have worked with his church on our last two trips, February and July of 2014. Pastor Amilcar is passionate about reaching the lost in his community. He has implemented programs such as a community garden to minister to the youth and five discipleship Bible studies in the homes of some of the members of his church. In the time span between our trip in February and our trip in July, his congregation has grown tremendously. It is amazing to see how God is working in this church and in that community! Over the last two trips, our group has joined with him and some members of his church to share the Gospel in four local schools. On our last trip in July, we spent two days at one of those schools. We shared Bible lessons, crafts, games and snacks with the students. Part of our team painted the classrooms of this school. Pastor Amilcar’s church performed musical performances for the students. Part of our team also worked on Pastor Amilcar’s church, constructing some walls within the church with some shelving and new door, and also created an awning for the church. We spent some time in Pastor Amilcar’s neighborhood sharing the Gospel, handing out Bibles and praying for his neighbors. We continue to visit Remar Orphanage and loving on the kids there, many of which are growing up!
We truly believe that serving in El Salvador has changed our lives, changed our walk with Jesus and has strengthened our faith. If God has placed the desire in your heart to serve, we would encourage you to join the next team going to El Salvador in February of 2015. ***No experience is required, as God has already equipped each of us to do His work - He only requires a willing heart. “May the God of peace . . . equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.” Hebrews 13:20–21 (NIV)
Operation Christmas Child A small shoebox can teach a child about the love of God, lead him or her to faith in Christ, inspire pastors, and plant new churches. What goes into the box is fun, but what comes out is eternal. Be a part of changing lives through the power of a simple gift. For more information, please visit http://www.samaritanspurse.org/what-we-do/operation-christmas-child or contact Nick and Pattie Brown at email@example.com.
Smithville Food Pantry Non-perishable food donations are collected at Grace (basket is located below information tables along the hallway) and given to the First Baptist Church of Smithville and also the Christian Church of Smithville. Common items include peanut butter, canned meat, cereal, rice, etc. To find out more about the Smithville Food Pantry, contact Daisy Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Liberty Women’s Clinic The Liberty Women’s Clinic is a faith-based outreach clinic ministering to those facing an unplanned pregnancy. The clinic offers free pregnancy testing, limited ultrasound, referrals and resources for food, housing, medical, etc. This clinic is dedicated to preserving the sanctity of life and showing God’s love and hope to those in need. There are many ways to get involved, from as little as a few hours a month to weekly. To find out more about the Liberty Women’s Clinic, please visit www.strides4life.com or contact Diane Ager at email@example.com.
City Union Mission (More than just a soup kitchen) City Union Mission is an evangelical Christian ministry committed to sharing the Gospel and meeting the spiritual, physical and emotional needs of men, women and children who are poor or homeless. To find out more about City Union Mission, please visit www.cityunionmission.org or contact Beth Beckham at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Facts about City Union Mission:
- City Union Mission does not receive government funding and relies completely on support from individuals, businesses, foundations, organizations and churches.
- Last year, 698 people committed their lives to Christ at City Union Mission.
- City Union Mission is the largest rescue mission in a six-state area.
- City Union Mission is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- City Union Mission offers half of the emergency shelter beds in downtown Kansas City, with both a men’s shelter and a women’s and family shelter.
- City Union Mission helps to prevent homelessness through community assistance, such as assisting with utility bills, school supplies, clothing, food and holiday projects.
- City Union Mission holds after-school programs for low-income kids, including tutoring and life-skills classes.
- City Union Mission is the only shelter in KC with infirmary beds for those ill or injured.
- City Union Mission has a camp in the Ozarks, CAMP CUMCITO, for up to 500 low-income children during the summer.
- City Union Mission has learning centers available to assist guests with building resumes, obtaining GED’s, SAT preparation, tutoring and more.
- City Union Mission operates the Hotline for the Homeless and directs people to actual shelter housing when available space is known.
- City Union Mission serves 704 meals every day on average.
- City Union Mission provided 156,374 beds for the weary last year.
- City Union Mission has an average cost of $16 a day to feed, clothe, shelter and care for 1 person in our emergency shelter.
- City Union Mission has an average cost of $29 a day to feed, clothe, shelter care and provide training for 1 person in our long-term program.
Healing House This ministry was founded by Bobbi Jo Reed, a recovering alcoholic who purchased a single residence home in the historic (but currently downtrodden and crime riddled) northeast section of Kansas City with the goal of providing transitional housing for up to ten women following completion of inpatient substance abuse treatment. As a former addict and alcoholic, Ms. Reed understood the many challenges recovering substance abusers face as they transition back into meaningful roles in society.
The mission of Healing House is faith-based alcohol and substance abuse recovery homes in the Kansas City metro area is to provide spiritual growth, emotional stability and direction to prepare men and women on their journey from addiction while seeking a purposeful life in this community. Their programs include Recovery and Support Program, Transitional Housing Program and Education and Employment Program.
Healing House, Inc. is committed to accomplish its mission identified by the following specific goals:
- To make time-proven recovery resources readily available for all Healing House clients.
- To provide transitional housing for recovery addicts and alcoholics; creating a safe, faith-based, community-focused home environment where clients can focus on recovery.
- To equip recovering addicts with the necessary life skills that will allow them to become self-sufficient, productive members of society.
A.C.T.S. Ministry - All Christians Together Serving Vennie Gonzalez founded All Christians Together Serving (sharing Jesus one neighborhood at a time). This ministry has a passion to go where God leads, to search out the brokenhearted, show them the love of Jesus Christ, see them saved, Spirit filled and baptized in the water all in the same day.
- The number one purpose of this ministry is to see people come to know Jesus Christ in a very unique and personal way.
- Encourage the surrounding communities that God cares for their needs and help those communities come together to stop crime in their neighborhoods.
- To bring likeminded Christian Outreach Organizations and Christian churches together to do the work the Lord Jesus has commanded us to do.
- To help church outreach programs by encouraging discipleship of any new converts that come to know Jesus Christ in a personal way.
Smithville Christian Family Day Smithville Christian Family Day was founded and coordinated by David Lin, Worship Leader at Grace Community Church and is usually held on the last Saturday in July of each year in the downtown courtyard of Smithville, Missouri. It is a day filled with Christian bands performing Christian music ranging from contemporary, gospel, blues, country, etc. The day is filled with music, craft vendors, food and spreading of the Gospel. Smithville Christian Family Day seeks to provide a public demonstration of unity within the body of Christ and as a preview event for Nehemiah Festival. For more information about Christian Family Day, please contact David Lin at email@example.com.
Nehemiah Festival Nehemiah Festival was founded and is coordinated by David Lin, Worship Leader at Grace Community Church. This weekend-long festival is held in September of each year. The Nehemiah Fest planning committee is a group of volunteers from the Kansas City area who are diverse in their denomination, race, age, and background. Yet, we share a deep desire to bring our community a Christ centered event celebrating God's grace. Nehemiah Fest is about celebrating our similarities in Christ, building relationships and bringing people together to celebrate God's love and forgiveness. We invite you to explore ways in which your church can become involved... to fellowship...to worship... to serve side by side with other Christians throughout the area. For more information about Nehemiah Festival, please visit http://www.nehemiahfest.com or contact David Lin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community Toy Store The Community Toy Store was founded by Gail Rodgers and was started because she was a child in need at one time. This ministry is to reach those in the Smithville Community who seek assistance in providing for their families at Christmas. Grace participates by donating toys, books, clothes, body care products, money and other items, along with a stocking full of things and a gift-wrapping station for the parents to come and shop for their families and wrap their gifts. The primary school also helps to collect toys for this event. This ministry also provides families with Bibles and devotionals and is an amazing opportunity to pray with those in our community and share the love of Christ. For more information about the Community Toy Store, please contact Gail Rodgers at Rodgers.email@example.com.
A Time to Give At Grace Community Church, we believe that it is our God given mission to serve, reach out, and share His love with our community. One way we try to do this is to have a full month of giving. From December 1st through December 23rd, we will be reaching out into Smithville and Kansas City to share God's love in a real and tangible way. There will be both personal and corporate opportunities to get involved with sharing. If you have a way that you think would be a good way to reach out to our community or have any questions, please contact or email Pastor Aaron at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, look for more information as we close in on December to see how to get involved in this fun ministry.